Wednesday, December 5, 2007
I went to bed just after 9 on Monday night. 9 is my goal because I wake up around 5 to go to work. Anyway... about 2:15 in the morning, I wake up for 2 reasons. The first, my bladder feels like it's about to burst (sorry, TMI). And second, I have an extremely painful stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen. Of course my first thought is my appendix. So I try to ignore the pain and I go to the bathroom. By the time I hobble back to my bed, I'm on the verge of tears. I grabbed my phone and called my roommates until one of them answered. Schorzman (3 of my 4 roommates are named Jessica so I'm using last names), answered and she came upstairs to be with me while I dealt with the pain. After about 15 minutes of sobbing and crying out in pain, she called 911. By now it's after 3 AM. When I get to the hospital, the doctor and nurse both think it's my appendix. They took a blood sample and a urine sample. Then the nurse put an IV in my arm and gave me 2 doses of morphine. I still hurt but I couldn't have cared less... until radiology came to take me to have a CT scan. Sitting up was the most painful experience of my life (and this coming from someone who has had brain surgery...I think this only leaves child birth pain...)! The good news: it wasn't my appendix. The bad news: I have kidney stones. Oh my gosh! If you have not experienced the pain of kidney stones, start praying that you never do. I couldn't even keep my eyes open because of the pain. It was making the lights way too bright. I was so grateful when Pam (my nurse) got me comfortable and was able to turn out the lights. It was so nice... and having a day off of both school and work and not having any guilt about it is a great feeling too. :)
On a happier note, Friday is my last day of classes then I just have finals! I'm so looking forward to being done. Mostly because it means I'm going home for Christmas and when I get back, I'm taking a musical theater class! I can't wait!
I also did something good for myself. I joined Curves for Women on Monday. Needless to say, I didn't get my first work out on Tuesday. And today I only did half the workout. I thought doing the whole workout after being in the hospital would be too much for my body. I'm feeling really good from the workout. But then again, we'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow :)
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
So the author of the book (Philip Pullman) that this movie is based on is an atheist. A quote that I found on his official website states, "I see no evidence for his existence, but of course that's not to say that he doesn't exist; I simply haven come across any yet. Furthermore, in my view, belief in God seems to be a very good excuse, on the part of those who claim to believe, for doing many wicked things that they wouldn't feel justified in doing without such a belief." That proves that he's an atheist but I'm still wondering about that last part. Does anyone want to clarify for me?
Dictionary.com defines an atheist as a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings. That got me to thinking...
Is it an insult if an atheist says to you "Go to hell?" or "Damn you." Because chances are if you don't believe in God, you don't believe in the devil so Hell doesn't exist and there is no God to damn you.
What does an atheist say if you sneeze? Even if they just say "Bless you" instead of "God bless you," they believe there's no God to bless you; and people would just think the person was rude if they didn't say anything.
What about the phrase "Oh my God." They don't believe in a higher being so what do they say instead? And do they ever say things like "Thank the Lord" or "Thank God"?
Why do so many atheists dislike C.S. Lewis? My guess is because Lewis converted to Christianity after many years of being an atheist. It couldn't possibly be because of the parallels in The Chronicles of Narnia to the life of Christ because atheists don't believe in Christ therefore they can't be upset about a book based on purely on Lewis's imagination as far as they know. Right?
This isn't just me venting about how ignorant I find some atheists to be when it comes to Christianity. I am actually very curious. My beliefs are based on the fact that I believe in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ with all my being. I want to know what atheists base their beliefs on so I can better understand them. As for wanting proof that God exists, I will quote a line from a movie I love... "It's like the wind. You can't see it but you can feel it."
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Autobot: You have a rodent infestation.
Sam: A what?
Autobot: (aiming at "rodent") Shall I terminate?
Sam: No! No! This is a chihuahua. We love chihuahuas.
Autobot: He's leaked lubricants all over my foot! Hmmph!
Sam: He peed on you? Bad Mojo! Bad!
Autobot: Bad Mojo! Ugh, my foot's gonna rust...
A chihuahua as a rodent makes me so happy! I'm pretty sure they're more closely related to rodents than dogs...
Anyway... it's a very good movie. I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to watch it. The acting is very good. The direction is great. And the special effects are awesome!
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
1. Yesterday I went to get an oil change. The mileage on my car was 129,525. My next recommended oil change was for 128, 525 miles. No, that is not a typo. That's what the sticker in my window says. My friend suggested that I drive backwards to my next oil change to see if that helps. I told my mom I was going to roll back the odometer and hope I don't get caught! Seriously, how stupid can you be?
2. Today at work, I'm listening to the radio while I'm making beds. I hear that the police are still on the look out for a convicted killer. My first thought was "Oh great, someone else has escaped. Last time that happened, the 2 guys were featured on America's Most Wanted the night they were captured." But then the story continued. The guy was RELEASED, as in he walked freely out of the jail he was in. Why, you ask. A PAPER WORK ERROR!!!!! The guy is in jail on 2 armed robbery charges and one murder charge. Do the paper work people not triple, even quadruple, check these things? Seriously, how stupid can you be?
So psycho man tells me that he has his truck lined up with my car and he wants me to come look at it. I don't want to get into it with him so I'm just like fine, whatever. So he shows me exactly what I did to his truck and my car. My favorite part was when he told me that there was paint from my car on his truck but it wasn't there anymore...idiot. Like I'm going to fall for that. Another part I really liked was when he pointed out the burn mark on my car. I must have really floored it backing out of the space the cause a burn mark! But how do I have one and he doesn't? Any mechanics or car repair people out there, please let me know because pyscho claimed to be a mechanic yet he couldn't explain it.
The psycho man is completely rude to me. I tell him I didn't hit him and he accused me of lying! Excuse me?! Who are you to accuse me of that? Also while he's trying to get me to admit that I hit his car, he says, "We all do stupid things. I'm 44 years old. I've done a lot of stupid s*** in my life." Again... excuse me? Who says I'm not offended by that kind of language? I'm not because I hear it daily at work but he doesn't know that! So I cried for a good 3 hours. I'm upset about the way he talked to me, that he accused me of something I didn't do and I now feel unsafe where I live because some lunatic is going around knocking on doors becaue he wants someone to pay for his $169 tail light! Creep...
So, ever since the day, creepy man (I should mention at this point that I don't actually know his real name and that's why I'm sticking to his nicknames) showed up at my door, I've been afraid that one morning I'm going to leave to go to work and something is going to be wrong with my car. Exactly one week after I was accused of backing into psycho's truck, I got out to my car and my tail light is SHATTERED! We're not just talking someone backed into me. We're talking took a hammer or baseball bat to it.
The first picture is of my tail light. The second is of the actual tail light shattered on the ground. So is it ok that I've been calling the lunatic "Psycho man?" I hope so!
Monday, October 15, 2007
Anyway, I have recently moved into a house with my 4 roommates. We love it! It was built in 1945 to help with all the soldiers returning from the war. The upstairs is all hardwood floors except for the bathroom and kitchen which are tiled. My room is off the living room. There is one other bedroom upstairs. Downstairs is carpeted. There is one bedroom and a huge room which would probably be a family/rec room if other people lived here. But we turned it into 2 bedrooms. There is 2 storage closets downstairs along with another full bathroom and a laundry room. All the walls are painted different colors (the upstairs is mostly grey). I'll take some pictures once we finish getting everything unpacked (we've only been here 2 weeks) and post them.
In case you're wondering, after my contract was up at Mountain Shadows in June, I moved into another apartment with my current roommates. The apartments looked so nice online! And the model apartments we were shown were beautiful. But then we got up to the 4th floor (where we lived) and it was disgusting! We literally felt like we were living in a roach motel. The only good thing about the apartment was the high ceilings (but then it made it hard to change light bulbs and smoke alarm batteries). Needless to say, we all wanted out. We talked with management and were able to get out of our contract. We began looking for places to live and found our current house on craigslist. We love it so much! And we're all decorated for Halloween! :)
Other than that, my life has just been school and work, work and school. I was in another car accident, but the damage was very minor, a cracked tail light and some paint transfer. That reminds me! But I'll save it for a different post. I need to share my story about the crazy psycho man from my previous apartment complex. That and my fall break this past week when my mom flew into Salt Lake then we drove to Oregon to see my sister and brother-in-law!
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Anyway... I'm freaking out. I can't get out of my car on my side because that's where I was hit. I have blood gushing out of my arm where I got cut. My leg is throbbing and I'm having to climb out the passenger side door. I was not happy. Luckily, the guy and his wife that were in the car behind me got out to help me. And the woman in the car behind the woman that hit me helped too. I'm kind of walking around in a daze when they all suggest that I sit down, so I did. Shelley, the woman behind the other driver, started to help me bandage up my cuts (props to my parents for telling me to keep a first aid kit in my car!). Jose, the guy behind me, told me that his wife had called the police and they were on their way. Another woman, I didn't get her name, came out of her house (she lived at the intersection) and came over to see if I needed anything. I asked for some water and she brought me some. Shelley asked me if there was anyone I wanted to call, like my parents. I knew I had to call them eventually, but they're in Georgia! What would they have done? About 30 seconds later my dad called. I answered with, "Good timing. I was just in an accident." We talked for a second then a fire truck and ambulance showed up. The paramedics talked to me, got my information and medical history, and asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital. Because of my surgery last year, I said yes. They called the hospital to tell them we were coming and they insisted that I be put in a C-spine (that's when you have on the neck brace and you're completely strapped down and its so uncomfortable!).
Long story short... I'm OK. Just lots of bruising and cuts and sore muscles. I got some really good drugs out of it - oxycodone. That's what I was on after my brain surgery and it's my favorite :)
But all of this happens just as I'm getting ready to move. I was going to move on the 20th and the accident happened on the 17th. How am I supposed to move when I can barely walk? Luckily my dad was able to come out and help me move and find a new car.
On top of all of that... On the 15th, Dr. Lewis gave me the all go for my eye. The infection was gone (but it left a scar) and I could wear contacts again. I woke up Friday morning with a red puffy eye. Why me? Maybe God has something really good in store for me in the next couple of months...
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
My eye is slowly getting better. I'm going back to see Dr. Lewis on Friday. Hopefully this will be the last time!
Thursday, June 7, 2007
More on my eye... I can't remember the exact details that I included in my last post so here's the dirty details. Last Tuesday started as a regular day. I got up. I got ready. I went to work. About an hour and a half into work (around 7:30 am), my left eye really started bothering me. I thought it was probably just my contact bothering me because of my allergies, so I took it out and went about my business. When I got back from bringing the ladies to work (about 9:30), my eye was still bothering me. At that point, I knew it wasn't my contact or my allergies, but I didn't think anything of it. I stayed at work until about 11:30 when the pain just became unbearable. Since it was technically my day off, I told my boss I was going home. I went home and laid down, hoping that when I woke up my eye would be better. No such luck. If anything, it was worse. The light that was coming in through my blinds was too much light for my eyes, so I didn't bother turning any lights on in the apartment. The light from my cell phone made my eye water when I opened it to make a call. I called my mom to see if I should go see a doctor. By the time I talked to her and found someone to take me, I knew my only option would be to go to the ER. So my friend Aimee brought me. After hanging around the ER for about 3 hours, I found out that I had a corneal abrasion. The doctor gave me a tetanus shot, put some numbing drops in my eye, gave me a cream to put on my eye 3 times a day and sent me on my way. He said I should be better within 24-48 hours and to follow up with my regular doctor within a week.
My eye feels completely better, but I got the feeling that I should go to the doctor. So I called yesterday morning and they had a cancellation for 2:30 in the afternoon. So I made my way down to Provo to see him. And it's a good thing I did. The cut is still on my eye. There's a certain bacteria that causes white rings around cuts and if and when it spreads, it causes you to go blind. Just as my luck would have it, there is a white ring around my cut. The doctor gave me a new prescription for eye drops and told me to continue the cream on my eye. No contacts for at least another week! Good thing I decided I was due for some new glasses when I went to see the doctor last month! I go back to see my doctor (his name is Dr. Lewis... for future entries) on Saturday morning. Hopefully things will be looking better! As someone once said to my mom, when my family does medical issues, we make sure we do them to the extreme!
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Friday, May 25, 2007
1. Maria in The Sound of Music. Everyone loves The Sound of Music, especially me! My favorite song to sing is "I Have Confidence." Can you imagine the rush you would feel singing that on stage?
2. Christine in The Phantom of the Opera. From the day I hit the top note in "The Phantom of the Opera," I have wanted to be Christine on stage.
3. Elphaba in Wicked. Great character and I like the thought of being covered in green body paint :)
4. Eponine in Les Miserables. I like her character the best and I express myself better through music so being in an opera would be perfect for me!
5. Lucy in Jekyll and Hyde. "Someone Like You" is such a great song and I love to sing it. Plus, I love the show.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? I've always been told that my mom got the idea from an actress on the A-Team and Rebecca came from the Bible...
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? last night
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? sometimes
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? turkey
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? nope
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Of course! I'm just that cool!
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? ha ha, oh yeah!
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? yes
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? yes! even though I'm terrified of heights...
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Frosted Mini Wheats
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES or JUST TAKE THEM OFF? take 'em off
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? not really
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? mint cookies and cream... yummy!
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? hair and clothing style
15. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR? green!
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? either my weight or my smile
17. WHAT DO YOU MISS THE MOST? not having a care in the world
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? It's just a blog...
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? jeans and no shoes
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? applesauce
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? the hum of the air conditioner
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Radical Red
23. FAVORITE SMELLS? Angel's Heavenly from Victoria's Secret
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? my sister
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? I got this off my sister's blog and I happen to like her a whole bunch! :)
27. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? baseball! especially when I'm at Turner Field :)
28. HAIR COLOR? red
29. EYE COLOR? blue
30. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? yes
31. FAVORITE FOOD? chicken... yummy!
32. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? both. Scary movies usually make me laugh and if it makes me laugh, it probably has a happy ending!
33. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Ocean's 12
34. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? blue with a pink flower
35. SUMMER OR WINTER? fall
36. HUGS OR KISSES? hugs
37. FAVORITE DESSERT? vanilla ice cream on a warm brownie
38. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? dunno
39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? everyone
40. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING? nothing currently but i read "Arthur Goes to School" at work on Friday
41.WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? a beach scene
42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? Sweet Home Alabama was on when I left work
43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? Josh Groban and kids laughing
44. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Beatles
45. WHAT IS THE FURTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? Ireland
46. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? um... I sing... does that count?
47. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Portland, Maine
48. WHOSE ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK? no one
49. DO YOU HAVE ANY GRANDCHILDREN? no... and since I don't have any kids that answer won't change for a long long long time!
50. WHERE DO YOU LIVE? Salt Lake City
Monday, May 14, 2007
2. Hayley Westenra. She's amazing! I love her voice. Anyone who gets to sing with Andrea Bocelli at the age of 18 is OK with me!
3. Johnny Cash. Ring of Fire, Walk the Line, Cry! Cry! Cry!... need I say more?
4. Elvis. He's the king. When I came back to Utah last summer, I stopped in Memphis with my friend and we ate at a place called Coletta's. We talked with the owner and she told us stories of Elvis and hanging out at Graceland. Then she brought us to "The Elvis Room," where he would eat on the rare occasion that he didn't take out.
5. The Beatles. Any band that writes the music, plays the instruments, and sings the lyrics can't be bad,
6. Bon Jovi. I don't know what it is. I just love them! And seeing Jon Bon Jovi on American Idol a couple of weeks ago... yummy!
7. The Rat Pack. Yes, I could list them individually but that would take up 3 spots instead of one. But I do love Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Sammy Davis, Jr. in their own respects.
8. Kristen Chenoweth. She's amazing! If I had half the talent that she did...
9. Daughtry. I love them! I never thought I would live to see the day when I had an American Idol finalist on my top ten favorite artists!
10. Enya. See number five for my list of reasons but replace band with person.
Friday, May 11, 2007
My sister tagged me to list 8 random facts/habits so here they are...
1. I was scarred for life when my mom bleached my yellow Little Mermaid underwear...
2. I have been to 3 different colleges and had 3 different declared majors.
3. I was born with a birth defect - Chiari Malformation. Unfortunately, I wasn't diagnosed until I was almost 21. Brain surgery would have been a lot less scary when I was a baby than when I was 20.
4. I killed my pet guinea pig when I was 4.
5. I am terrified of heights but I want to go skydiving!
6. I have an unhealthy obsession with Eric Szmanda from CSI (he plays Greg on the original show).
7. I hate Utah but for some reason I keep coming back, even after moving home for my surgery.
8. I have a very stressful job but I stay at it because it's so rewarding!
Wednesday, May 9, 2007
1. The Little Mermaid. Definitely my favorite. I watched it on Monday and it brought a smile to my face!
2. Beauty and the Beast. Lots of fun and I really like the songs.
3. Aladdin. The movie that made me want a pet tiger. I guess my cat Max will have to do for now! And I love listening to Lea Salonga sing.
4. Peter Pan. I love Tinkerbell and I wish I could fly!
5. The Emperor's New Groove. It always makes me laugh... even if I'm just thinking about it.
6. Cinderella. My mom used to jokingly call me Cinderella because I was always cleaning something.
7. Sleeping Beauty. Fold in eggs *crunch*
8. The Lion King. Jeremy Irons has the perfect voice for a villain and I just love Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.
9. Mulan. Again, I love listening to Lea Salonga sing!
10. Robin Hood. My sister and I used to watch it on Sundays so when the Sheriff of Nottingham said, "It ain't Sunday you know," we could say, "Yes it is!"
Monday, May 7, 2007
On my car, I have a license plate frame for the Atlanta Braves. On Friday afternoon, my roommate and I decided to go see The Invisible (great idea, OK movie, terrible dialog!). As we are waiting to turn onto the street where the theater is located, the guy in the car next to us gets our attention. Kim rolls down her window and the guy asks, "Are you really a Braves fan?" My first thought is, "No, I just like to make people think that I am by putting a Braves license plate frame on my car," but I respond nicely with, "I'm a huge fan!" Then the terrible, most horrible words that can ever be spoken came out of his mouth. "That's not all that bad, but the Yankees are better!" I think my heart skipped a beat and I got a huge knot in my stomach. It was a good thing the light turned green at that moment. As I turned, I started listing off a string of reasons why no one should like the Yankees. They have a ridiculous dress code. They spend millions of dollars for a losing team. They're the only team to ever be up 3-0 in post season to not go to the next round. They made Johnny Damon cut his hair (but that's what he gets for leaving the Red Sox... traitor!). As I'm listing all these things, one thing keeps coming to me. The guy that was in the car next to me must have a crush on Derek Jeter!
In other news, I have found where I'm going to live! Hopefully the link works... if not I'll be moving in just a couple of weeks and I can post my own pictures :) I'll be living in the 3 bedroom with 3 other girls. I'll be sharing the master bedroom with one of the girls. Great thing is we each get our own closet! There's a pool and an exercise room. The thing I'm most excited about is the washer and dryer! No more laundromats!
Friday, May 4, 2007
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Monday, April 30, 2007
I started looking online for a new apartment because my contract is up the end of June. Yes, two months is a long time, but it's going to fly by and I don't want to be stuck on the streets! I found a couple of places online, but even better, I found a few people (I should specify that they are females for when my parents read this!) that are looking for roommates. I've exchanged a few e-mails with them and things seem to be pretty good. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to meet them and see the apartment that I would be moving into!
Tuesday, April 3, 2007
My parents have been in town since Friday. It's been a great visit, not just because of all the things they have bought me (including a kitchen table!!!), but because I don't get to see them very often, just a few times a year. I guess that is part of growing up. Kids move out, go to college or get a job. Sometimes I wish I was back in high school, back when things were simple. But other times I'm glad I'm an adult and can be out on my own. There are days that I miss home desperately, but I'm happy with where my life is at. I have a good job. I'm at school studying something that I love. I'm surrounded by good people and amazing friends. I honestly couldn't ask for more.