Thursday, June 7, 2007

now that i have more time

I'm on a computer at school wasting time before my class. Besides my eye, there's not really much to update on. Lots of work and a little bit of school. The Special Olympics are this weekend. The time that I spent there today was useless. None of the ladies that I work with participated in anything. Hopefully tomorrow they will. Otherwise, I'll be upset. It's no fun to go to practice every Saturday morning just to sit around and not get to see the results of my hard work :)

More on my eye... I can't remember the exact details that I included in my last post so here's the dirty details. Last Tuesday started as a regular day. I got up. I got ready. I went to work. About an hour and a half into work (around 7:30 am), my left eye really started bothering me. I thought it was probably just my contact bothering me because of my allergies, so I took it out and went about my business. When I got back from bringing the ladies to work (about 9:30), my eye was still bothering me. At that point, I knew it wasn't my contact or my allergies, but I didn't think anything of it. I stayed at work until about 11:30 when the pain just became unbearable. Since it was technically my day off, I told my boss I was going home. I went home and laid down, hoping that when I woke up my eye would be better. No such luck. If anything, it was worse. The light that was coming in through my blinds was too much light for my eyes, so I didn't bother turning any lights on in the apartment. The light from my cell phone made my eye water when I opened it to make a call. I called my mom to see if I should go see a doctor. By the time I talked to her and found someone to take me, I knew my only option would be to go to the ER. So my friend Aimee brought me. After hanging around the ER for about 3 hours, I found out that I had a corneal abrasion. The doctor gave me a tetanus shot, put some numbing drops in my eye, gave me a cream to put on my eye 3 times a day and sent me on my way. He said I should be better within 24-48 hours and to follow up with my regular doctor within a week.

My eye feels completely better, but I got the feeling that I should go to the doctor. So I called yesterday morning and they had a cancellation for 2:30 in the afternoon. So I made my way down to Provo to see him. And it's a good thing I did. The cut is still on my eye. There's a certain bacteria that causes white rings around cuts and if and when it spreads, it causes you to go blind. Just as my luck would have it, there is a white ring around my cut. The doctor gave me a new prescription for eye drops and told me to continue the cream on my eye. No contacts for at least another week! Good thing I decided I was due for some new glasses when I went to see the doctor last month! I go back to see my doctor (his name is Dr. Lewis... for future entries) on Saturday morning. Hopefully things will be looking better! As someone once said to my mom, when my family does medical issues, we make sure we do them to the extreme!

1 comment:

mom said...

What happen to your blog about missing your computer? Some little gremlin? So glad you eye is better and hope Dr. Lewis give the 'all's clear' on Friday.