Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Atheists

I saw a preview for The Golden Compass which causing a lot of controversy because supposedly the children overpower God and kill Him or something like that. I don't know the whole story (the preview didn't look that good so I'm not too worried about it).

So the author of the book (Philip Pullman) that this movie is based on is an atheist. A quote that I found on his official website states, "I see no evidence for his existence, but of course that's not to say that he doesn't exist; I simply haven come across any yet. Furthermore, in my view, belief in God seems to be a very good excuse, on the part of those who claim to believe, for doing many wicked things that they wouldn't feel justified in doing without such a belief." That proves that he's an atheist but I'm still wondering about that last part. Does anyone want to clarify for me?

Dictionary.com defines an atheist as a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings. That got me to thinking...

Is it an insult if an atheist says to you "Go to hell?" or "Damn you." Because chances are if you don't believe in God, you don't believe in the devil so Hell doesn't exist and there is no God to damn you.

What does an atheist say if you sneeze? Even if they just say "Bless you" instead of "God bless you," they believe there's no God to bless you; and people would just think the person was rude if they didn't say anything.

What about the phrase "Oh my God." They don't believe in a higher being so what do they say instead? And do they ever say things like "Thank the Lord" or "Thank God"?

Why do so many atheists dislike C.S. Lewis? My guess is because Lewis converted to Christianity after many years of being an atheist. It couldn't possibly be because of the parallels in The Chronicles of Narnia to the life of Christ because atheists don't believe in Christ therefore they can't be upset about a book based on purely on Lewis's imagination as far as they know. Right?

This isn't just me venting about how ignorant I find some atheists to be when it comes to Christianity. I am actually very curious. My beliefs are based on the fact that I believe in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ with all my being. I want to know what atheists base their beliefs on so I can better understand them. As for wanting proof that God exists, I will quote a line from a movie I love... "It's like the wind. You can't see it but you can feel it."

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Atheists are ignorant and stubborn. The end.