Saturday, January 5, 2008

chivalry is dead

I said I would be blogging more and I will keep that promise. Unfortunately, there isn't much to blog about. Therefore, I'm going to repost a blog that I wrote on my myspace. It was my sister's idea so if you don't like it, blame her :)

"Would you like my seat?" the old man with the cane asked me as I boarded the train.

"No thank you. I can stand," I replied.
As I walked down the aisle to stand in the middle part of the car, I could see the looks from the other men who didn't offer me their seats. The men in their suit coats and ties, briefcase at their feet. The men in their University of Utah apparel, backpack in their lap. It was at this point that I realized that chivalry is, in fact, dead!

When was the last time someone under the age of 50 offered me their seat or opened a door for me? I don't know if I can answer that. Not because I don't remember but because I don't think it has ever happened.

The other day, there was an old woman getting off the train. None of the men getting off offered to help her down, they just exited on the other side. Who stopped? The old man who was moving just as slow as she was. Were they married? No. How do I know this? They went off in opposite directions.

What is the world coming to that we can't take 5 seconds out of our day to stop and help the old woman off the train, keep a door open for someone who is entering or exiting, offer someone your seat? The more I reflect on it, the more depressed I become.

And that is my blog for today!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Good girl. I'm glad you listened to me. :) Now post lots and lots. :)