Monday, January 19, 2009

A post I put on imdb...

If and when I post on imdb (which is about once a year), I try to avoid making anything personal because people on their don't need to know anything about me, but every now and then I feel the need to respond to something. I was reading the latest press releases and found that Tom Hanks had issued a statements against Mormons for supporting Prop 8 - big surprise there. I decided to go to his discussion boards and see if anyone had started a topic. The first one I found was called "anti catholic and anti mormon." I decided to look into it. This was my response to the original poster with a few changes...

It's really making me angry that all of these stars in Hollywood are speaking out against the Mormons without doing any research. There were lots of churches that were involved in getting Prop 8 passed including the Catholic church but it seems that the only church to get any flack from it is the Mormon church. Mormons are great people. Since when is it wrong for people to stand up for their beliefs? Long before Prop 8 was even thought up, the Mormon church issued a statement saying that marriage is between a man and a woman.

As far as Tom Hanks is concerned... it makes me angry that he would produce anti-Catholic movies or make anti-Mormon statements. But what makes me even more angry is that he'll get away with it. He made these choices when he was 100% sober, yet when someone like Mel Gibson makes an anti-Semetic remark while under the influence, he becomes the worst thing in Hollywood. I'm not trying to make light of what Gibson did. I think his statements were crude and demeaning. But aren't Hanks' actions also crude and demeaning?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I love how you said "Mormons are great people," so you don't sound like you are. :)

I am mad at Tom Hanks now! What a butthead! I liked him!